Sunday, November 18, 2012

Santa Shop Creations: Cinnamon Ornaments

This was a bargaintastic Santa Shop creation!  I used this "Non-Edible Cinnamon Ornaments" recipe from Allrecipes as a guide.  I doubled it because it said that it only made 1 dozen ornaments.  I ended up with 72 ornaments.  Oops.


I did all my shopping for this at the Dollar Tree.  I spent a whopping $3. 

Materials Needed:

2  1-1/3 cup containers of cinnamon at the Dollar Tree - $1 each
1 4-pack  of apple sauce at the Dollar Tree - $1
2 Tablespoons of Nutmeg  - I had this
2 Tablespoons of Cloves - I only had about 1 Tablespoon so that's what I used
4 Tablespoons of Glue - I had this
Some 1/8" wide ribbon - I had this
Some more glue - I had this
Heart Shaped Cookie cutter (or whatever you want to make)
Straw

Total Cost:  $3.  Quantity Made:  72.  Cost per unit:  4 cents


1 cup Cinnamon
1 Tbsp Nutmeg
1 Tbsp Cloves
3/4 cup Applesauce
2 Tbsp Glue (like Elmers)

Mix cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves.  Add Applesauce and glue.  If it's too wet, add more cinnamon.  If it's too dry, add more applesauce.  Mine was too dry so I added about 1/4 cup more applesauce.  

Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch.  Make sure they are not too thin.  Use a plastic straw to make a ribbon hole.  

Bake in a 200 degree oven for a couple hours.  I flipped mine over after about an hour.  


This was so easy, the kids did most of the work.


We decided to just pump out hearts.  That was easy enough.


After we cut them out, we used plastic straw to make holes for the ribbon so we can hang them on the tree.


After they were cooked and dried, I cut ribbon in 5" strips.  You can make the strips however long or short you want.  Then I double knotted them and put some glue over the knots.  Once dry, I trimmed the end of the ribbon and you're done!  Lots of nice smelling, simple & pretty little ornaments.  

Can't beat $3 for 72 "gifts" for the Santa Shop!

No comments: