Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Homemade Bread Crumbs - Yup, I'm THAT Cheap

I've been on this bread making kick.  I don't know why.  I make more bread than we can possibly eat.  So I was looking at two, half eaten loaves and was like "darn it - I don't want to throw that away but it's going to go bad."  


So I took a knife to them and cut them up in chunks.


Then I put the chunks on baking sheets.  I baked for about 10 minutes at 300.  Then I turned them over (or attempted to - I just sort of shuffled them around).  After about 5 minutes, I threw my chunks in the food processor.  Then I put the smaller chunks back on the cookie sheets and baked for another 10 minutes or so.  Then I put them back into the food processor.  


And VOILA!  Homemade bread crumbs.  Since I just ran out of bread crumbs, I just dumped my bread crumbs in the container.  Oh - and at the second round of food processing, I added some oregano, garlic salt and basil.  I don't know - maybe 2 tsp. or more of each.  I'm liberal with spices.  Mostly because I buy them at the Dollar Store.  

You can do this with store bought bread.  I was surprised at the ease of it.  And I'm happy with the lack of waste.  I shall make an epic meatloaf with my homemade bread crumbs made from homemade bread.  I have become everything I have never wanted to be.  

No comments: