Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Do You Ever Pay for Confidence?

I'm currently in an odd situation.  I am getting a new roof.  It's not really "odd" - but considering people only get new roofs every 30 years, it's not something that you're used to or "know about" as well as say toothpaste - which you buy every couple weeks.  What's a good price?  How does it work?  What are your options?  Blah blah blah.

Said new roof should be put on tomorrow.  As long as this storm holds off.  It might get pushed back to next week.  Anywho - I'm pretty sure we are over paying.  However, I have this element of confidence in the contractor that gives me a sense of relief or happiness or something I can't explain.  Sure, I'm dropping more than I should - but I just feel like it's meant to be.  Odd, I know.

So my thought provoking question to you is "how much is confidence or a "job well done" is worth to you?"  One thing I have learned to really blow over is the comments from people like, "Oh!  That is too much.  My uncle's friend's cousin would have done it for much cheaper."  For me, there is an element of questioning "low ballers" in this roof crap.  There's just this feeling of, "Oh this cousin friend of your uncle's is a plumber but does roofs on the side?  That's interesting."  Sure - some of these "deal guys" are probably really legit.  But there is this nerve in me that would be questioning it.  I guess with this, I know I'm paying a lot but I don't feel ripped off.  But other people probably would.  I don't know.

Maybe I'm trying to justify paying a lot.  Maybe this is just a feeling of comfort which I don't usually get because I usually do go the "cheap route".  The thing I have learned in the past 3 weeks of researching roofing is sometimes you have to go with your gut.  You have to not Google this stuff - because roofs can cost anywhere from $2,000-$35,000 on Google (which really gives you no information on what to expect).  You have to think of it as a 30 year investment.  And lastly - once it's done, you can pretty much sleep tight for 30 friggin years.  I won't have to worry about my roof again until I'm about 63 years old.  Hallelujah!


No comments: