Saturday, January 12, 2013

Homemade Cereal Bars - Good on the Wallet, Happy in Kids' Mouths

My kids love these:


And these:

But at $3 a box, I'm not having that.  My kids eat through them like no tomorrow.  Even with coupons and scoring them for $2 a box - you're still talking .25 cents or .33 cents per snack.  I'm cheap.  That's too much.

So I have resorted to making my own cereal bars - and once you start doing it often, it's so easy to make these that you wonder why you ever bought the packaged crap in the first place:


A 13"X9" batch gives me 15 bars (I cut 5 x 3).  Assuming you get the cereal on sale, the whole batch costs less than $3.  You'd be paying over $9 for the same amount of bars if you went with the pre-packaged crap.  

Here's the general recipe:

1 standard bag of marshmallows (mini or regular)
1/2 stick of butter
9 cups of cereal

Melt the butter and marshmallows in a big pot.  Turn off heat and add cereal until all mixed.  Put in greased 13"x9" pan and let cool.  When working the cereal in the pan, I suggest lubing up your hands/fingers with Crisco.  It makes it much easier.  

After it cools for a while, cut them in equal squares or whatever you want.  


If you're tempted by these creatures like I am - don't worry.  Each bar only has about 180 calories and 4 grams of fat.  Not too shabby at all.  

If you're one of those "really healthy" moms - this works great with Cheerios too.  

No comments: