Thursday, February 16, 2012

Saving Money Challenge: Create the Breakfast Sandwich at Home

My kids love Dunkin' Donuts Wake Up Wraps.  You don't know what they are, well here's a picture:  Only, they don't look that good.

The ones with just egg & cheese are $1.29.  The ones with meat are $1.49.  Since I can't afford to drop $4.50 on breakfast everyday, plus coffee for me - well I've come to make these quite frequently for the lads.  It's easy, cheap and more delicious than the DDs ones.


You probably already have the ingredients in your house (minus the tortillas).  Tortillas have become a basic staple in our house lately.  They are very versatile.  Here's what I do:

Beat 1 egg & 1 splash of milk.  Fry up in an 8" pan like an omelet.  Add about 1/2 oz. cheddar cheese and flip over like an omelet.  If you want, add pre-cooked meat at this point.  Then put it on an 8" tortilla (these I have, are actually Chi-Chi's Soft Taco shells - they are sold in packs of 12 at Stop & Shop for $1.89 regularly.  I usually pick them up with the $1/2 MFCs that Chi-Chi's puts out). 


Voila!  A Dunkin' Donuts Wake-Up wrap.

Now in DDs defense - their Wake-Up wrap has 180 calories (no meat).  My no-meat Wake-Up wrap has about 200.  Why?  Mine is bigger.  

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Those sound delicious! Way to go making your own at home. Smart lady :)