Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"What the Heck Do I have in My Cabinets" Recipe: Beef Stew


Tonight's recipe is compliments of V-8.  Yes, in the depths of my cabinets, I found 2 bottles of V-8.  I got them on a deal or something like that.  Now I'm not just the type of person to sit around and drink vegetable juice.  I'm also not a some Bloody Mary lush.  So what do I do with it?  BEEF STEW but of course!

This is my modified Crock-Pot recipe that is easy - and even the kids eat it.

1 lbs stew meat cut up in smaller chunks
1/4 cup of flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups V-8
1 tsp Worcester Sauce
5 smallish/medium potatoes
1/2 bag of baby carrots cut up
1/2 onion

Throw raw meat in crock pot.  Throw in flour, pepper, salt and stir until raw meat is covered.  Add V-8, Worcester Sauce, potatoes, carrots and onion.  Stir.  Cook on low for 8-10 hours.  Or high for 4-5.  

This is remarkable.  I add some salt and pepper after.  You can add some spices, but since I use the Spicy V-8, it already has somewhat of a flavor.  Plus, I don't want to give the kids an excuse to not eat it. 

You can also add in celery - and adjust the amounts of the vegetables.  No thickening is needed.  It just does it.  

I love this recipe because it pretty much just feeds our family, with a small smacking of leftovers.  I'm not a fan of leftovers.  I like the convenience of them but I don't always like the taste.  Plus, I'm kind of like a baby, saying "Really, we have to eat Beef Stew AGAIN?"  

A bottle of V-8 will give you about 3 recipe-fulls of required V-8.  Don't like my recipe?  Just substitute V-8 for beef broth in any stew recipe.  Believe me - you'll be glad you did.  

No comments: