Saturday, January 28, 2012

Saving Money Challenge: Prepare (as best you can) for Kids' Sports

Call my a horrible mother, but I only let my kids do one sport or activity at a time.  Why?  I am not a taxi driver.  I am not some sort of "kid entertainer".  I am a homemaker who needs to clean, cook, raise the kids and keep my man happy.  I don't have time to be going to 3 or 4 different scheduled activities for my kids all the time.

So what are my kids into:  Soccer.  This makes me happy.  It's a relatively easy game for the young lads.  It requires very little equipment compared to most sports.  The fee is pretty darn cheap ($55 for the season - can't beat that).

The Spring season will be approaching here at the end of March/beginning of April.  So I redeemed some of my credit card rewards for a $50 gift card to Sports Authority.  I know I'm going to have the buy the little bugger cleats and probably new shinguards since he keeps growing.

But what if you don't have credit card rewards to redeem for store gift cards?  There's other ways to find discounted sports equipment:

-  Check out Craig's List now.

-  Check Freecycle.

-  Find a local sports or traditional consignment shop.  Play It Again Sports is a popular one in the Boston area.

-  Ask neighbors/friends for hand-me-downs.

-  If you go to a sports store, check Retail Me Not for any printable coupons before heading out.

This post is partially inspired by the group challenge Precious started at Frugal Makes Cents.

No comments: