Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Best Advice I Never Got: Join a Gym After You Have a Baby

It's amazing to admit that come March, I will have been a happy, perky, devoted little homemaker for 6 years.  I gave up my prestigious job in lieu of raising little trolls, cooking, cleaning and goofing off on the internet.  Okay, well I never had a real prestigious job and the trolls are actually 2 little boys.  But you get the picture.

Don't get me wrong - it was fun having two little rascals drooling, pooping and goo-ing at me for those first 2 years.  Like most young adults though - we don't have grandparents/uncles/aunts who are just sitting at home, twiddling their thumbs waiting for me to pawn off our children on them at a moments notice.  They have jobs, lives and whatnot.  So as cute and cuddly as my babies were - I was with them a good 10 hours a day, every day for what seemed like forever.

2 1/2 years, I realized the junk in my trunk was growing at an exponential rate.  My local Y was a whopping $89 a month and at the time, I really thought that was a lot to take out of our monthly budget.  But the junk was bothering me and I sucked it up.

The hidden benefit of joining my local YMCA was the "free" childcare in the cost of it.  With the household membership, it includes up to 2 hours of childcare every day (up to 3 kids).  Seeing as neither one of my kids were ever really "dumped off" somewhere without me besides family, it was a big transition - mostly for me.  At the time, kid #1 was 2 1/2 and kid #1 just turned 1.  Kid #1 had a little time adjusting to this new routine and kid #2 jumped right in and loved it.

Well regardless - the point of this babbling was I really wish someone told me to join a gym a lot sooner in my parenthood - and convince me it was worth the money.  I usually don't take advantage of the full 2 hours (1 1/2 is more like it), but the mini break from the kids is well worth the money and cheaper than any other day care option out there (as long as you don't mind actually working out while your kids are getting watched....).  It is also really good for them to socialize with other kids, let their energy out, and build up their tiny little immune systems (although those poor ladies are constantly rubbing down every surface with Lysol wipes, you know kid places are all germ central spots).

So to all the new mothers out there who stumbled across my blog - remember your mental health is important too.  Take some money and time to remember that and I'm just throwing it out there that joining a gym may be a great option to help you stay focused and recharged so you can have a nice piping hot dinner waiting on the table when your husband walks through that door from work every night.  Don't forget to use your apron!

No comments: