Sunday, March 14, 2010

Recipe of the Week - Shrimp Lo Mein

This recipe is kind of my own creation - taken from a Weight Watcher leader recommendation and combining with a few recipes I found that were more elaborate.  I don't like elaborate so I try to keep it simple.  Red writing is Shaw's pricing babble.

Shrimp Lo Mein (Serves 1)
Points:  6

1 tsp Olive Oil - should be in your cabinet.
1 1/2 cups Shredded Cole Slaw (unpreppared) - $1.99 at Shaw's - or buy a head of cabbage and shred it yourself at only .25 cents a pound
4 oz Shrimp - $4.99/lbs at Shaw's - or $1.25 per serving
2 oz dry high fiber pasta - $1.29 for a box of Shaw's Wheat Pasta this week. 
Soy Sauce & Red Pepper Flakes to taste

Cook your pasta.  While cooking that, heat the oil in a wok or large skillet.  Add Shredded Cabbage and cook (at this step, I usually add some sliced mushrooms and grated carrots which don't change the point value).  Add shrimp.  You'll see the cabbage shrink and get limp and all that other stuff.  Add the cooked pasta and throw on some dashes of soy sauce.  Cook in the skillet for a minute or two. I add the red pepper flakes at this stage too. 

I've also substituted chicken for the shrimp.  I love this recipe.  Just note that this is a "Serve 1" recipe. 

No comments: