Friday, January 15, 2010

Recipe of the Week - Easy Fried Rice

This week's Weight Watcher recipe (which comes off the WW site), is Easy Fried Rice.  I actually made this last week and it came out really good.  I will be making it again.  My husband and I ate it as a side dish with a Gorton's Fish.  The whole meal was 5 points.  You could add chicken or shrimp to make it more of a main dish, use it as a side, or even eat 2 servings as a meal (it's only 3 pts. per serving).

POINTS® Value: 3

Servings: 6
Preparation Time: 8 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients
2 spray(s) cooking spray
2 large egg(s), lightly beaten
1 cup(s) carrot(s), shredded (a pound is .99 at Shaw's)
1 cup(s) scallion(s), sliced, divided (probably no more than $2 at Shaw's.  You can actually freeze scallions!  I Googled it last week and have a container in my freezer.  You can buy a big package at Roxie's for $1.49)
3 cup(s) cooked white rice (Use Brown - on sale at Shaw's for $1.89)
1/2 cup(s) frozen green peas, thawed (Shaw's Frozen - $1)
1/4 cup(s) low-sodium soy sauce, or to taste (should have in your fridge)

Cost:  No more than $5.88
Instructions

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; warm pan over medium-high heat. Add eggs; tilt pan so that eggs cover bottom.

When eggs start to set, break them up into pieces with a heat-proof spatula or wooden spoon. Cook until eggs are cooked through, about 1 minute more; remove eggs them from skillet and set aside.

Off heat, recoat same skillet with cooking spray; set over medium-high heat. Add carrots and all but 2 tablespoons scallions; sauté until carrots are crisp-tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Stir in cooked rice, peas and soy sauce; cook until heated through, stirring once or twice, about 1 minute. Gently stir in cooked egg and remaining scallions; heat through. Yields about 3/4 cups per serving.

3 comments:

Kellie said...

thanks for the recipe, Becky. I just printed off a good looking Weight Watchers Lo Mein recipe as well from the eTools. :)

Money Saving Maine-iac said...

Hey Becky;

I just wanted to pass along this post I linked back to you because I love your weight watchers posts. Very cool.

http://www.moneysavingmaineac.com/2010/01/watching-your-weight-check-this-out.html

I also wanted you to know I received the Friendly's coupons today.
Thank you again,
Teresa

Robin said...

Oh thank you for posting this. I am have been craving a recipe for fried rice and I am tired of paying for it out of a box.