Friday, March 16, 2012

Saving Money Challenge: My .35 Cent Centerpieces (Ghetto-tastic!)

I'm slaving away at preps for the son's birthday party.  I'm devoting way too many hours to this but I don't care.

So the plan is to have some tables with table cloths (plastic, of course) - So I wanted something to put on said tables. So I made three centerpieces:


They aren't terribly great - but something to accent the place.  So how did this only cost .35 cents to make? Well first, it's assuming you have a bunch of things.  Like vases.  And pipe cleaners.  And twist ties.  If not, you're going to have to buy those things.  You can get some nice vases at Ikea for $2.  The Dollar Tree also has them.  The Dolla also has pipe cleaners and floral wire (which is recommended - I had a big roll of twist tie so I just used that).  


My only out of pocket expense was Tissue Paper.  I bought this pack at the Dollar Tree for $1.06 after tax. I was able to make flowers for 3 arrangements out of this pack.  So about .35 cents each.  If you do not know how to make Tissue Paper Flowers, well Google it.  Here's Martha Stewart's version (I love teaming up Martha & the Dollar Tree in one post).

I realized that I was going to need something in the vases to hold it down - my pipe cleaners are pretty flimsy and even though I doubled them up, they just weren't cutting it.  I stole them from my kids' art supply bin.  They didn't have any green ones so I just didn't care about that.  Since I'm cheap, I didn't want to spend any money on this adventure.  So I went to my backyard and I have 2 milk crates full of white rocks for whatever reason back there (the old owners left them there).  

So I grabbed some:


They were pretty dirty and gross.


So I let them soak in some soapy water and I kind of washed them with a sponge and sprayed water at them.


Then I let them sit in a mixture of bleach and water for about 1-2 hours.  I rinsed them off with water.


Then I had nice, clean, white rocks for my vases.  

Even if you have to buy some stuff, it's pretty cheap to make Tissue Paper flowers and display them.  Ghetto?  Sure.  Cheap?  Definitely!





No comments: