Sunday, February 5, 2012

"What the Heck Do I have in my Cabinets" Recipe: Lo Mein!

Shaw's has all the Eat Smart Slaws on sale this week for $1.00 (normally $2.19 or $2.29).  These bags are wonderful.  I love making Lo Mein with them.  This is a healthy alternative to chinese food and really easy.

Last night, I made Pork Lo Mein.  So I cooked the pork until just brown on the outside and then added my bag of California Slaw.  That cooked for about 10-12 minutes.  I used some sesame oil to keep it cooking nice.  Then I added some Hot Chili Paste (bought at Kam Man in Quincy) and Soy Sauce.  Once all the slaw is tender and cooked down some (and your meat done, obviously), add about 3 servings of cooked thin spaghetti.  Saute it up for about 2 or 3 more minutes and voila!  You have a wonderful dish.  You can also add other vegetables to your liking:  onion, mushrooms, peppers.  If you want a little pop but don't have Hot Chili Paste, you can either run out to the Kam Man or you can add a pinch full of crushed hot peppers.  You can make this with pork, chicken or steak - whatever you want!  This is such an easy and versatile meal.  And healthy!  You can also use the plain old Cole Slaw bag that's mostly cabbage but I feel healthier when I use these Eat Smart bags.  They are only $1 at Shaw's until Thursday.  These also freeze really well too.

No comments: