Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Saving Money Challenge: Prep Some "Go To" Recipes!

My sons love chocolate chip muffins.  I can't say I blame them - but when they come down screaming they want chocolate chip muffins at 7:30 am, I'm not all programed to start baking that early.  Over the weekend, I was though.  And I made muffins from scratch:


This picture makes it look burnt, but they weren't!  I am not a photographer.  

Anyways, I used THIS RECIPE FROM ALLRECIPES.  It was really good and the kids loved them.  I liked how it was a recipe for 12 muffins - that's a doable amount.  If we have more, I'm up to my ears in muffins.  

After I made the batter, I looked at my table:


What a mess!  I don't want to deal with getting everything out again the next time I'm suckered into making muffins.  I had just enough chocolate chips left in the bag for two more batches.  So I took 2 gallon sized plastic bags and wrote the following on them with permanent marker:

3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup oil
1 egg
Bake @ 400 for 20 minutes

Then I mixed all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder & chocolate chips) together and put the dry ingredients in said bag.  I did this again.  


So now I have 2 pre-portioned bags of chocolate chip muffin mix.  It's like I made my own fancy Bisquick.  Now when the kids need chocolate chip muffins, I can just get my bag and add it to the wet ingredients.  I should be able to measure milk & oil and crack and egg in the morning without much fuss.  Plus, I'm pretty sure making these mixes are cheaper than buying boxed mixes.  

Oh - on the recipe it says to sprinkle a mix of sugars on top of the muffins.  I skipped this mostly because I'm lazy.  The muffins were still good.  

This post is partially inspired by the group challenge Precious started at Frugal Makes Cents.


No comments: