Friday, January 13, 2012

Saving Money Challenge: Weigh Your Meat!


The best thing about joining Weight Watchers for me was losing weight and looking like a sexy beast.  The second best thing was buying their food scale.  I never though much about weighing food.  This scale has changed a lot of my cooking habits (even though I'm not doing Weight Watchers anymore and have gained 10 pounds since leaving).

I weigh a lot of things on it, but the most cost effective thing I have been able to do with it is weigh meat.  We're a family of four (with 2 young ins').  So right now, a good portion of meat for us to eat is 1 lbs.  I say I eat 4 oz., The kids eat about 2 oz - 3 oz and the husband has the rest.

So how do I try to save money doing this?  Well first, I try to buy meat in the bigger packs so that the price is lower.  Secondly, when looking for packages, I try to find a package that is as close to the poundage marker as possible.  For instance, 2.06 or 2.98, or 3.1.  Then I know I have roughly 2 or 3 "dinners" out of that package.

Then when I get home, I weigh it.  See the picture above.  Yup.  That's all me.

This post is partially inspired by the group challenge Precious started at Frugal Makes Cents.

No comments: