Thursday, April 21, 2011

Being Cheap - & Loving it!

So yeah.  It seems that a lot of people get insulted if they are labeled "cheap".  I personally don't care if someone calls me "cheap" - these things generally don't bother me.  Besides, I can be pretty darn cheap.  I'll admit it.  I don't like spending money on myself unless I really have to.  Want an example?

This is my most favorite and most used cookbook.  I've owned it for about 10 years.  It's been in pieces for about a year.  My mother said to me recently "Why don't you just go out and buy a new one?"  So I told her that I'm not going to - but I need to go to the basement and duct tape it.  She informed me that I could get the same book for about $12.  I told her that I didn't want to "waste" the money.  Chime in her "Really, Rebecca?"  Is it really "wasting" money though?  I do use this cookbook a lot.  In the grand scheme of life - $12 really isn't much for something that does get a lot of use.  But for what ever reason, I am too cheap to buy a new one. 

But I got motivation to duct tape it:

Isn't it purdy?  It fits right in with my high-class life now.

Look - it even works like it was never damaged:

See!  Brand new!  Almost.  And I still have all the stains and water marks on the recipes I use the most so I don't have to re-crap up a new book.  Being as it's the Earth Day season - I'm also saving the Earth by not throwing this beloved book into the trash. 

Show off your "cheap" pride with your "being cheap" shame story.  It's okay.  We won't laugh at you.  At least not to your face (and that's only because this is a blog and we never see each other face to face). 

No comments: