But this year, I'm determined to do it. Birthday parties and coupons can and can mix! I do have some issues though...
- For starters, I don't have an oven. It will probably get hooked up soon but not before birthday extravaganza. Normally my toaster oven works fine for normal cooking of us - but yeah - it wouldn't cut it for party preparations.
- I like doing nothing. I usually buy stuff already like fruit and vegetable platters already done. More expensive? Sure! But I mentally tell myself it's worth it.- I usually buy a pre-made birthday cake. Sure, I'd like to make my own cake or cupcakes, but decorating isn't my thing. If I tried to decorate a cake or cupcakes, I'm sure it would look like I went up to the local elementary school and asked a 3rd grade class to do it for me.
- I always offer a meal. I know the "cheap" way would be to not do this, but people come from all over - so I feel the need to feed them. But believe me - it's usually not all that good anyways! ;) ha ha!
- About 3 months ago, I found goodie bags and some fillers on clearance at Target. I thought "yeah! This is great!" So I bought them....now? I can't find them. I'm thinking I left them in the plastic bag and thought it was trash so tossed it. I just can't think of anywhere else they all might be. Oops.
Here are some things I have learned or will try to stick with this year:
- I'm feeding about 20 - not 200. I always overbuy for these things. Not a little but a lot.
- I don't need 12 different things out there. I think I usually have a lot of variety but I don't need all that stuff.
- Most people aren't as addicted to soda like me. I always have a ton of soda - and hardly anyone drinks it. Water bottles go fast though.
- I'm more gracious and more thankful when people offer to bring things. Usually when someone offers, I just say "no, no! I got it all!" But I'm more happy to have people bring things this year (just my immediate family - I'm not telling friends to bring stuff!!)
Have you learned anything good about party planning frugally? Life will be good when we can just have a bowling birthday party!