I haven't blogged much lately because I suck. Honestly, I haven't really been "bargain hunting" much lately. For months actually. As the new year came, I found this growing need to get rid of all the crap in my life. I don't even know how I got so much crap. I guess that's just what happens when you get old, pump out some kids and move to the suburbs.
I can't think of a single material possession I bought in January. That's with just subconscious thoughts of not wanting crap in my life. So with February, I'm following the Happy Housewife as she launched a "no-spend February Challenge". It's quite simple - don't buy anything that is a non-essential in the month of February.
Obviously these things can not happen over night but I've already done some stuff to save me time, space and money - and some of them are rather shocking for my previous extreme couponing ways:
- I cancelled both my newspaper subscriptions. Sorry Boston Globe ($14 a month) and the Patriot Ledger ($10 a month). It was good while it lasted, but I haven't read the paper in months so it's pointless to give me a paper that automatically goes into the recycling bin. I print the coupons I need off the computer. I originally got the papers 5 years ago because I would read them AND I wanted the coupons - now - I don't. So I'm saving a tree and $288 by canceling those.
- I modified my gym plan. I love going to the gym. I have for years. It's my leisure time and my kids'. I know there are discount gyms out there for $10 a month, but I need the kid programs and the pool. But I was on a higher plan that was $108 a month. I switched it down to a plan that is $91. Mostly, instead of being granted access to two separate gyms, I can only go to one now. But that's fine though because I can't remember the last time I was at the other gym. $17 a month saved - or $204 a year.
- I've joined Facebook yard sale sites - and I've already made $50! On crap that was just sitting around my house! About a week ago, I joined these yard sale groups on Facebook that are in my town and surrounding towns. I post pictures of things and the price I want. I have a bunch of stuff up there and I've organized my postings in charts in a binder - because I have an obsession with binders. I've also been organizing my stuff so if it sells, it sells but if it doesn't, it's neat and orderly. I know I don't have enough stuff to do a full blown yard sale, but I have been trying to talk about 4 or 5 friends to bring some of their crap over and we can team up for one big tag sale this spring. That will help this situation out a lot.
So today is Day 1 of this challenge. Now I'm motivated to post more stuff...
HI
ReplyDeleteI live in MA (Dedham) and have been trying to find FB yard sale sites, but haven't had any luck. Do you have any suggestions?
AMM