Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Getting Your Money's Worth At BJ's Just on Milk

I did a quick BJ's run tonight to get milk and bread.  At the checkout, it really dawned on me how much I would save this year if I bought all my milk at BJ's.  I have two young boys and a husband who drinks more milk than you'd imagine.  We go through about 2 gallons a week.  But to make this simple, I'll say we drink 100 gallons a year.

The price of a gallon of Garelick Farms Milk at BJ's is $2.59.  Thus, $259 per year.
The price of a gallon of Garelick Farms Milk at my Shaw's is $4.39.  Thus, $439 per year.
The price of a gallon of Shaw's Milk at my Shaw's is $3.99.  Thus, $399 per year.

So a consumer buying Garelick Farms milk would save $180 per year if they bought it exclusively at BJ's.  That more than covers the $35 yearly fee (It's $45 but they offer you a $10 gift card if you join).  A consumer buying Garelick Farms at BJ's vs. Shaw's milk would save $140.  

I'll be honest - even though I like to think of myself as frugal, I will just grab a gallon of milk at most Shaw's runs.  Good thing it's a new year and I can add milk savings to my long list of resolutions!

No comments: